Friday, February 12, 2010

Post#4 - Reflecting on Meeting 1

 
Meeting 1 of group C02B

There are some things that one can only see, while looking at a video. During the meeting itself, everyone agreed that the meeting was effective and productive.
However, after reviewing the meeting in video, I realized that there are many parts of the meeting that can be further improved. Perhaps the motivation for making a video of our first meeting isn’t just for Mr James to review on it.
Maybe it was done so that we can look at our meeting from a third-person perspective, and from that, we notice things we weren’t able to as participants of the meeting.

First things first, the good things about our meeting; everyone was punctual, everyone contributed ideas, and in general we were able to solve all the problems we intended to solve in the process of the meeting.
What about the bad things of the meeting? I realized we will subconsciously behave in certain ways that makes you go; did I really do that?

                     www.gaiaonline.com

One obvious and absolutely embarrassing trait that I noticed about myself; I caught myself digging my nose during several moments of the meeting. While being engrossed in the content of the meeting, my finger magically moved by itself, and ended up in the depths of my nostril.
Though unnecessarily graphic, but still it was a pretty good example of ‘subconscious behaviour’.

Second thing I realized was; while browsing through the video, I discovered several new points made by others that I was somehow unable to take in during the meeting itself. While someone else was making a point, my mind was too preoccupied with my own thoughts/approach of the topic being discussed. The result; some valuable information is not being commuted to my brain.
After reviewing the subconscious behaviour, I will most certainly take note of it, and improve on the subsequent meetings.

A picture speaks a thousand words.
A video would probably speak a million words.
Creating this video certainly isn’t a waste of time as I initially thought of. (I admit)

**Off topic
End of post#4, time to enjoy our break from blog posts and...

Happy Chinese New Year!

(Even to those who isn't celebrating.)

4 comments:

  1. Hi Zhen Yong,

    Team mate!

    As always, you never fail to entertain your readers with some humorous content. The act that you highlighted, “picking your nose” is a very good example of unconscious behavior and also mannerism. Your description of this simple act is effectively conveyed. An unconscious behavior won’t be easily noticed by ourselves, but can easily be noticed by others (though I did not notice that you did one during the meeting).

    I also noticed an unconscious behavior that I did, a mannerism, I would say. While viewing the second camera (placed from a farther angle), once in a while, I saw that I shook my legs. The effects of it may not be as disturbing, but it is an act that could be noticed and could become a source of distraction.

    As for the preoccupation of the mind, it comes naturally. Our brains process words roughly four times faster than our mouth can speak. This means, we only use 25% of our brains to listen and 75% is free to do something else. Therefore, we need extra attention when listening; (e.g. 25% of our brain capacity for listening to the speaker and another 50% to focus the remaining 25% to the speaker. =P).

    Good wishes to us with our lab 3! As for me, you did a great job during the meeting.

    Regards,
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Zhen Yong,

    Wish you a very Happy Chinese New Year. Hope you enjoyed the recess week!

    How you manage to come up with humorous content in your blog posts, I can only wonder. The presentation of a sometimes embarrassing situation, like digging your nose (which many people will find convenient to ignore and not reveal it to people), does tickle the reader’s funny bone.

    It’s pleasing to know that watching the video helped you. When I heard about having to watch your own video and then comment on it, I believed it was a waste of time. But then the perspective changed when I saw it. How it helps one to notice his drawbacks and shortcomings is incredible. It helps you in pin-pointing down your slipups and then working on them.

    I feel it is quite natural for us to get lost in our own thoughts. This is the one common thing I have come across in every blog post. But then isn’t this what we are supposed to learn in this module; effective communication, team work and active listening skills ;)

    Cheers to your team and all the best for the programming project.

    Cheers,
    Saurabh Arora

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Zhen Yong,

    I agree that by watching ourselves in a meeting, we can pick out the good and the bad points to work on. From a third-person perspective, we can see things so much clearer. At times, we might have overlooked certain things while being too engrossed in our discussions.

    Subconsciousness usually takes over the better of us during meetings and discussions. Yours is particularly funny. If you did not highlight yourself picking your nose during the discussion, I do not think most people will notice. Now since you brought it up, I'd like to view your video just to count the number of times you were picking your nose.

    For your second point, I agree that our mind tend to wander off during discussions. Thankfully there's CG1413 to help us learn skills in effective communication.

    Lastly, good luck for your project!

    Cheers,
    Qinxian

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Zhen Yong,

    First of all a very happy Chinese New Year to you and hope you have enjoyed it!!

    As rightly pointed out a video would probably speak a million words about ourselves. It is important to review the meeting through the video as it helps to recollect the important points said in the meeting as the brain can’t store all the information. It is nice that you were able to list out good and bad things after watching the video.

    It is true that sub consciousness takes over us during the meeting and only after reviewing the video we come to know that we had done such a thing in our meeting. In your case you told your readers that you were digging your nose during most times of the meeting.

    I agree with you that quite a few times we get preoccupied with our own thoughts, as a result we couldn’t effectively listen when our other team members were sharing their ideas . It is better to correct ourselves and make sure we don’t follow it again in the near future. After reading your post, I could clearly conclude that your meeting was a fruitful one with each member contributing to the best and I personally feel that having recorded the meeting has helped each and everyone to rectify their mistakes and lets improve our skills through this module

    Regards,
    Santhosh

    ReplyDelete